The Hedgewife
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hedgewife

The Hedgewife forum is for women who love old fashioned living and creating in todays modern world.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Can you label crafts differently?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sage
Admin
Sage

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Can you label crafts differently? Empty
PostSubject: Can you label crafts differently?   Can you label crafts differently? EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 5:47 pm

In your world, are their two types of crafts?

One set of crafts for general purposes that help you out on a day to day basis. Usefull 'crafts', the ones that create something of USE..such as canning, and quilts and gardening. Do you consider these 'crafts' or skills??

And one set of crafts that lend a sense of beauty, such as decorative, non usefull in the terms of usefull above. Ones that create comfort for the home in a more visual way. Are these crafts or 'art?
Back to top Go down
http://hedgewife.blogspot.com/
stitchesnstrokes
Junior Hedgewife
Junior Hedgewife

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Can you label crafts differently? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Can you label crafts differently?   Can you label crafts differently? EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 10:40 pm

Well, Sage, deep thought!! LOL Here is how I feel about it....I get tired of the raised eyebrow when I say that I do "crafts" because there are too many people out there that think that you are mindlessly making junk. True story. That is so NOT true, so I prefer to say to more people that I am a homemaker and I create. I think that canning and gardening are domestic interests that we like or not, and it takes skill and love to do them. Quilting is so creative, and so skillful, useful, works of art, and more. It is a gift. Here if you quilt with a fever, you usually join the quilter's GUILD, not a craft group. They are skilled perfectionists, and truly turn out works of art.

Now the decorative "crafts" I don't believe are art...I like the way you said create comfort in the home. They are labors of love, expressions of personality, and creative decorating pieces. They are also wonderful stress-relievers, time fillers. and give you a sense of achievement when they are completed. To boot, they make great gifts that are unique and personal!

And that is my point of view....
Back to top Go down

Can you label crafts differently?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Hedgewife :: The Creative Hedgewife :: General Crafts-
Jump to: