The Hedgewife
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hedgewife

The Hedgewife forum is for women who love old fashioned living and creating in todays modern world.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

We've got PLUMS!!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sage
Admin
Sage

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-06-18

We've got PLUMS!! Empty
PostSubject: We've got PLUMS!!   We've got PLUMS!! EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 9:28 am

Well, got our first picking of plums yesterday. Isn't much, but it's enough to get several jars of perserves. So I guess I'll be doing that today!

We also picked more blueberries yesterday as well. Got a full basket of them, so that too is on my agenda! I'll probably freeze a good many of these, as I haven't frozen any yet.

Are you putting up anything?
Tell about it!
Back to top Go down
http://hedgewife.blogspot.com/
stitchesnstrokes
Junior Hedgewife
Junior Hedgewife

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-06-19

We've got PLUMS!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: We've got PLUMS!!   We've got PLUMS!! EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 11:34 am

It's getting closer to canning season here, Sage. I will put up at least 100 lb. of pickles, I make them for us and the kids who are nuts over them. Dills and Bread and Butter. I also do about 100 lb. of canned tomatoes, a minimum of 6 batches of salsa, antipasto, and if there is any fruit that is actually affordable, I will can that too. We pick huckleberries and freeze them most years. I used to do more fruit, just not so necessary with the kids not home now. I love to can, just love it. Now, if I could grow more of my own stuff.....you wouldn't hold me back. I live in the wrong part of the world, I think!!! LOL
Back to top Go down
Sage
Admin
Sage

We've got PLUMS!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: We've got PLUMS!!   We've got PLUMS!! EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 3:34 pm

lol..I know what you mean...but I always say I live in the wrong part too cuz I can't stand this heat!!
I enjoy my garden and 'canning and putting up'..it's almost relaxing, AT FIRST..by the end of the season..I'm sure glad to be done!
Back to top Go down
stitchesnstrokes
Junior Hedgewife
Junior Hedgewife

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-06-19

We've got PLUMS!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: We've got PLUMS!!   We've got PLUMS!! EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 12:18 pm

But your seasons don't seem to end, lucky girl. We have a short window here, and do what we can. (no pun intended) This morning when my husband got up it was 8 degrees C. here, that's about COLD there. Was plus 1 80 miles from here, just above freezing. No, this is NOT normal, but what can you do? We are darn close to frost some mornings!! At this rate we won't be able to afford to buy fruit and veggies to can, they will be too expensive!
Back to top Go down
Sage
Admin
Sage

We've got PLUMS!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: We've got PLUMS!!   We've got PLUMS!! EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 3:44 pm

Wow..don't know that I want to go that cold!!
Let's hope things don't get too expensive for ya!

I've put up so many jams and pickles this year, I guess if all else fails, we'll be eating pickles and jams for survival!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

We've got PLUMS!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: We've got PLUMS!!   We've got PLUMS!! Empty

Back to top Go down

We've got PLUMS!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Hedgewife :: The Hedgewife Kitchen :: Putting Up-
Jump to: