The Hedgewife
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hedgewife

The Hedgewife forum is for women who love old fashioned living and creating in todays modern world.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wow, Saturday's garden

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sage
Admin
Sage

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Wow, Saturday's garden Empty
PostSubject: Wow, Saturday's garden   Wow, Saturday's garden EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 9:35 am

Was very busy. We've revamped some of the areas to prepare them for the winter/fall crops to go in. I'll be planting by the end of July for that. Several of our crops are done for the year...the cucumbers are almost done (thank goodness!).
I've canned more jars of bread and butters and dills then I thought I'd ever get out of those plants, but they were prolific this year!
The tomato's are almost done for the season. (since we planted so early we got our crop early!) I would like to be able to can up more tomato's before the years in, so I may find a bushel at the local farmers market for doing some extra. I use tomato's a lot!

I'll be posting some new pics up on the garden forum as soon as I take the time to go get some! SO check it out sometime.

what's going on in your garden??
Back to top Go down
http://hedgewife.blogspot.com/
stitchesnstrokes
Junior Hedgewife
Junior Hedgewife

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Saturday's garden   Wow, Saturday's garden EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 11:28 am

You would laugh so hard if you saw my "garden"!! I have dill planted in an old wash basin in the yard, chives in a planter, and on the deck I have zuccini and green onions growing in planters!! Really!! I'll take pics, I actually have my first zuccini growing and more to come. I thought that whether or not they produced, they make beautiful plants, so why not? Now...I bought a new gardening book yesterday in the grocery store and it had a 5' garden that was unbelievable....what they grew in that space was incredible. I have the spot that would work, maybe, just maybe, I'll try it next year. Who knows, at the price of food these days we are all crazy not to use every square inch of our yard to plant food, forget the flowers!!!!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sage
Admin
Sage

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Saturday's garden   Wow, Saturday's garden EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 3:38 pm

You said a GARDEN FULL!

I can't see the price of food going down any either.

Those who get into the business have some forethought..ya gotta think about it..what's the things that humans cannot do without?
Food/water and caskets. As sad as that is.
Back to top Go down
stitchesnstrokes
Junior Hedgewife
Junior Hedgewife

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Saturday's garden   Wow, Saturday's garden EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 12:14 pm

I'm finally getting the hang of this site, Sage. Now I know where to come to respond!! LOL

I don't know how many times I've heard from my dad...the only businesses that survive are the ones that cater to our essential needs...food, clothing, etc. Maybe one should think about doing classes in how to grow gardens in as little space as possible?? Might just work?????
Back to top Go down
Sage
Admin
Sage

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Saturday's garden   Wow, Saturday's garden EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 3:46 pm

Gardening in small spaces is key! There are probably lots of books and web sites on it..do a search and see what you can come up with.

Our zuchinni is coming in now that we've removed the pumpkins.
Our corn was a bust..it got a 'disease' or actually a type of..growth, called 'smut'. We lost the whole field. Now we will be on the lookout for a local farmer selling his by the bushel. I'll still put some up this year of course, but it won't be mine.
My tomato's are almost done for the year, the cucs are finally done for the year (thank goodness), the okra is still going strong, the beans are starting their 'second' birthing if you will..and my mustard still hasn't gone to seed. I keep waiting on that one!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Saturday's garden   Wow, Saturday's garden Empty

Back to top Go down

Wow, Saturday's garden
Page 1 of 1