The Hedgewife
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hedgewife

The Hedgewife forum is for women who love old fashioned living and creating in todays modern world.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

It's Pear season!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sage
Admin
Sage

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-06-18

It's Pear season! Empty
PostSubject: It's Pear season!   It's Pear season! EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 10:09 pm

Well, tomorrow I'll be canning up the last of the pears for this season. I didn't do as many as I thought I would get to (due to surgery) but I will get at last 10-12 jars set aside.

I peel/quarter them..put them in water which I have added citric acid..then cold pack them into the jars heat a simple syrup to boiling, pour over the pears in the jar (leave 1/2 inch headspace) put on the lids then water bath for 20 min (timed after boiling begins). Some I've added spices too, some I've left plain.
I have to say, it's pretty to see all the canned goods on the shelf..home canned goods at that. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://hedgewife.blogspot.com/
Sage
Admin
Sage

It's Pear season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's Pear season!   It's Pear season! EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 10:45 am

Well..I said the 'last of the pears' for the season, I was wrong. In the next field over,we have discovered another pear tree, that has much bigger pears in them. SOooo hubby went and picked me a 5gallon bucket worth. In about a week they'll be ready to can up..so that's what I'll be doing again before heading off to NY. The first ones I canned turned out wonderful (I know this because I opened one up and tried them already!) Anyway....I do believe that'll be the last thing for this season of planting, now to start planning next years crops! WOOHOO!
Back to top Go down
stitchesnstrokes
Junior Hedgewife
Junior Hedgewife

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-06-19

It's Pear season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's Pear season!   It's Pear season! EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 10:55 am

I got a seed catalog in the mail the other day but it doesn't do to much for me at this point! When the yard is put to rest for the long winter ahead it takes me until about Feb. to start to get spring fever. The rest of the time I do "winter" things, baking and such.

I WISH that we had a fruit tree of ANY description, we pay dearly for the fruit and veggies to put up for the winter, but you can't match the flavor in a tin. So, we do what we have to do. Those pears sure do sound delicous though!!
Back to top Go down
Sage
Admin
Sage

It's Pear season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's Pear season!   It's Pear season! EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 8:56 pm

Well...those pears the hubby brought home from the field next door found a home today, in 10 jars!! WhEW!..I think I've put up all the pears I intend to put up this year...and I think I'll have to buy more jars next year.
I"ve told the hubby I want a pressure canner for xmas. (that's a 200$ investment!) I lost my last one in the house fire. (sigh..it was my mothers).
ANYWAY..I've been doing a lot of 'home thinking' lately..very much prarie thinking..and truly truly want to can more and be more 'independent' of the grocery stores. Not sure why..but feel it's almost an urgency that I take the next several years and 'set aside' what I can. Wonder why that happens..why I feel that way?

ANyway..pears are up..and I still have a few left so I may get to some pear preserves tomorrow. Who knows...I may just eat these..they are very sweet and good!
Back to top Go down
stitchesnstrokes
Junior Hedgewife
Junior Hedgewife

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-06-19

It's Pear season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's Pear season!   It's Pear season! EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 9:55 pm

Yum, a-PEAR-antly you are still very busy with that fruit, but there is a long winter ahead and you will enjoy it so much!

I've used a pressure canner for years, no more hot water bath. I've got a glass top stove and can't use the ribbed bottom any more but I CAN use the pressure one. Some older glass tops didn't let you can on them, but the manufacturer says you can on this one and I have done a mighty lot of it!! Works very slick! I only use the 4 qt. one (or 7 pt) and that is great for us.

I really wonder what is ahead of us...prices are nuts, it's scary to go grocery shopping any more!

We picked up a bunch of apples yesterday on our way home from Creston, the banana belt in this area with loads of orchards. Made apple crisp for dessert tonight, excellent!! Come on over for dessert!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

It's Pear season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's Pear season!   It's Pear season! Empty

Back to top Go down

It's Pear season!
Page 1 of 1